You know how when you eat something super healthy for breakfast, you feel empowered for the rest of the morning? When I load up on healthy foods, I feel infused with energy and super powers.
It might all be in my head, but even so it is an awesome way to start any day. It empowers me to be able to laugh in the face of less healthy and nutrient dense temptations.
What makes this oatmeal superfood oatmeal? Well chia seeds are extremely high in antioxidants, in fact they have one of the highest known concentrations of antioxidants. They are also rich sources of omega-3′s and fiber. Apples contain flavonoids that have been shown to reduce the risk of certain kinds of cancer, and have been found to help prevent cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and Alzheimers. Cinnamon helps to stabilize blood sugar, and can reduce LDL (“bad”) cholesterol. All 3 of these foods are good for your brain, so eating them for breakfast is super smart (he he he).
- ¼ cup Chia Seeds
- 4 cups Almond Milk
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- ½ cup Rolled Oats
- 3 Apples (cored and diced)
- Maple Syrup or Raw Honey (to taste)
- In a medium pot bring the chia seeds, cinnamon, almond milk, and oats to a boil
- Cook until the chia thickens the liquid, and the oats soften, about 2-3 minutes
- Stir in the apples
- Dish up and serve drizzled with maple or honey