1. My cousin is a super talented musician. To be honest, I already knew this, but it has been a while since he played a show and his show this weekend was amazing. I danced around like crazy and sang at the top of my lungs (some of this I attribute to my lesson #2 of this weekend…)
2. When you are really thirsty, it is really easy to drink lots beer. Sillyness will ensue. The town where the show was held had a water main break earlier that day, and there was a boil water advisory. To be safe, we stuck to drinking beer (in bottles). I was pretty thirsty, and I rarely drink. I got quite silly.
3. I really love long weekends. I suppose there are few people who don’t, but this one was especially good. We managed to do some spring cleaning, go out with friends, and have amazing family holiday time. Pretty sweet to be able to pack that all into one weekend, I could get used to 3 day weekends!!
These fritters are a bit like a healthier version of good bar food. Sometimes I like to mix it up and serve something like this for dinner. It’s a great app, but a fun dinner too. I love the flavor of nutritional yeast, plus it packs a nutritional punch. It is high in B Vitamins, which do a wide range of functions from reduced risk of heart disease, to helping to relieve stress and anxiety. Though the texture is dry and flakey (I would compare it to fish food, but I realize then I wouldn’t be doing a very good job of convincing you it’s actually really super tasty) but it tastes like nacho cheese. I like it in things like this because it adds that lovely cheesy flavor, and you don’t notice the lack of cheese texture.
Health highlight of broccoli: while broccoli may seem like a common, unremarkable veggie, it is actually a powerhouse of healthy stuff. Broccoli contains a compound that has been shown to be effective in preventing certain cancers. The nutrients in broccoli also help to promote and regulate detoxification in the body, which is very good news. Broccoli is also a strongly anti-inflammatory food.
- 2 cups Garbanzo/Fava Bean Flour
- 2 cups Water (boiling)
- ¼ cup Nutritional Yeast
- ¾ cup Chopped Broccoli (the frozen variety, thawed is perfect, or fresh is awesome too)
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- EV Olive Oil, to cook
- Vegan sour cream or Guacamole
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the flour, water, yeast, broccoli, garlic powder, and salt and pepper
- Process until combined
- In a pan on medium heat add a teaspoon of oil, and scoop the fritters using a rounded tablespoon
- Fry until crisp on one side, flip and fry the other until crisp, about 5 minutes on each side
- Serve warm with your chosen accompaniment (salt additionally if needed)
- Eat up!!