So, as I mentioned in my New Years Resolution post, I am going to be doing a gentle cleanse for the next couple weeks to allow my body to recover from all those holiday/vacation indulgences. I can be a little sensitive to lots of grains. And my body is asking for a little break!
I will use this page as a collection of all the recipes for the cleanse, as well as some other snack/meal ideas. If you would like to join me on this journey, feel free to leave comments here any time!!
I will be adding links daily to this page for the new recipes as they go up.
What this cleanse is all about:
Everyone is different. Some people can handle all juice diets, or fasting, and some people can’t. Take Penny and Alex in Happy Endings in this clip. So I am trying to gear this cleanse to fit most people. I am really excited to share the recipes and the journey, the food is really tasty, and you won’t feel deprived!!
I will be on the cleanse for 2 weeks, because it is a manageable but effective amount of time. Starting this weekend. Since the new recipes won’t be coming up until Monday, I have a few below to get you started.
I encourage you to:
- Eat only when you are hungry. I find that people are really afraid of letting themselves be hungry. Don’t be scared, and you might want to check out what I said here.
- Drink plenty of water, especially if you start to feel snacky between meals
- Make an effort to chew your food really well, and eat slowly
- If you can, try to allow 12 hours between your last food at night and your breakfast in the morning
- Focus on getting lots of fruit and vegetables
- Combine your fruits and veggies with nuts, seeds, or legumes for a more satisfying meal
- Drink warm water with lemon before you eat anything in the morning
- Exercise gently, such as yoga or pilates
Things to avoid:
- Any added sugar (maple, cane sugar, honey)
- Grains (corn, wheat, quinoa, barley, etc)
- Processed foods
- Soy products
- White potatoes
Throughout the day, water and these cleansing drinks
A piece of fruit (apple, banana, orange)
Apple with 2 tablespoons almond butter
Green apple smoothie (skip the dates)
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (make sure you use almond milk, and that it has minimal ingredients)
Mixed greens with chickpeas, lemon juice and olive oil
Freshly pressed fruit juice
Whole fruit smoothies