I love grilling season! Squash is one of the easiest things to throw on the grill because it won’t fall through the grates, and it tastes amazing grilled. I chopped up the salad and ate it cold for lunch for about a week, and it was awesome. But you could totally also make this as a side dish, its also amazing warm!!
Is it strange that this is the kind of thing I eat for a meal? I thing some people would see it more as a side dish, which its lovely as, but I find it to be an incredible lunch! First of all, you can make it quickly and it will last a week, which is amazing. But also, I feel so good after I eat it. Full but not lethargic, which is just perfect in my opinion. And sometimes I struggle with the time between lunch and dinner because I tend to get pretty hungry, but this dish kept me surprisingly full! Give it a whirl and let me know what you think
Health highlights of summer squash: Summer squashes, while still high in nutrients, are also high in water – they are about 95% water. Which means you can really chow down on this veggie with no guilt, and it will keep you hydrated in the heat. The antioxidants found in summer squash have been shown to be more heat stable, which means you retain more of them after cooking. They are also anti-inflammatory, and high in vitamin A, fiber, vitamin B6, potassium, magnesium and manganese.
3 Zucchini -quartered lengthwise
3 Summer Squash (the yellow variety) – quartered lengthwise
2 Red Onions halved lengthwise
¼ cup Canola Oil
Salt and Pepper
½ cup Sliced Almonds
- Rub or brush the zucchini, yellow squash, and onion with oil
- Place the veggies on a hot grill and grill on each side until they get nice grill marks
- At the last minute add the lemons to the grill to give them slight grill color
- Remove the veggies and place onto a large cutting board
- With a large chefs knife (or a mezzaluna if you have one) roughly chop the veggies
- Place the veggies in a large bowl and squeeze the lemon juice over (catch the seeds as those are not tasty – I speak from experience)
- Add the almonds and stir to combine
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve warm or cold! Enjoy!!