Can you keep a secret? I hide veggies sometimes. I have found that people who claim to hate a vegetable will eat it very willingly if it is disguised as something else.
And really, even though I love my veggies, I like to sneak them for myself sometimes too. A big bowl of mashed potatoes is incredibly comforting, but knowing they are also good for me puts a smile on my face.
So, what’s the secret here you ask? Cauliflower!! I decided to do potatoes and cauliflower together because I think its less detectable, and a really good combo.
I always leave the skin on potatoes. A lot of the healthy nutrients are found in the skin, and it’s also much easier not having to peel the potatoes. The skin won’t mash though, so I cut the potatoes into small cubes so the skins that are in there are smaller.
This is a fantastic dish to make for Thanksgiving. And, if you make it, make sure to make lots so you will have leftovers. I have plans for how you can use those!!! (Recipes to come after the holiday ;)) All the recipes for this week and next are awesome for Thanksgiving. I just love holidays!!!
I also wanted to share that we got our power back last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited to get back to normal!!
Health highlights of cauliflower: cauliflower is anti-inflammatory which means it can help reduce the risk of heart disease, Alzheimer’s, even depression (which is still being researched further to explore the inflammation-depression link). As a part of the cruciferous family (with broccoli) cauliflower contains potent anti-cancer compounds. It also supports the body’s detoxification process.
- 6 Russet Potatoes (leave skin on) diced
- 1 head Cauliflower (chopped to roughly the same size as the potatoes)
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 4 tablespoons Margarine (or butter)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- In a large pot add the potatoes, cauliflower and cover with cold water
- Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender, about 10-15 minutes
- Drain the potatoes and cauliflower
- Add them to a large bowl and add the garlic powder, margarine, and salt and pepper
- Beat using a hand electric mixer on the lowest speed until creamy and fluffy
- Dish up and serve!!