This recipe is part of the Thanksgiving series 2013. For more info on that series, you can check it out here. Though this recipe is perfection for Thanksgiving (or any holiday), it would be super awesome any time.
I’m kicking of the Thanksgiving recipes with one of my favorites. Sweet potato casserole. It’s one of my favorite things on the table at Thanksgiving, call it my sweet tooth, but I just love the stuff!! Avid vegetarians avoid most marshmallows (they contain gelatin), and I kind of like sweet potato casserole better without them. I am a big fan of sweet and salty, so I love sweet potatoes with a bite of green bean casserole or gravy. I was excited by how easy and yummy this recipe turned out to be, I will be making a ton of this and making sure to get leftovers!! Sweet potatoes are hands down the best leftovers.
My tips and tricks used in this recipe:
- I use a food processor to grate the sweet potatoes. Grating things is not my favorite, so I love making the food processor do it.
- All the “hard” work is done in the oven, the active time on this is very minimal
- You can make this vegan by subbing out the butter for olive oil or vegan margarine like earth balance
- I mention it in the recipe, but make sure to grease up your pan - I didn’t and the best crispy bits got stuck
- 2½ lbs Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon EV Olive Oil (or Vegan Margarine or Butter – all are perfect)
- ½ cup Pecans (toasted and chopped)
- Salt (I like mine on the salty side, but season how you like it)
- Preheat the oven to 425 (degrees F)
- Shred the sweet potatoes (I even leave the skins on, and grate them in the food processor)
- In a large bowl toss the shredded sweet potatoes with the maple, butter, pecans, and salt
- Add the potatoes to a greased 13×9 pan (grease it well because they will want to stick otherwise)
- Pack down the sweet potatoes as much as possible, cover the pan with foil
- Bake for about an hour and a half, or until the potatoes are tender and begin to crisp around the edges of the pan
- Serve and enjoy!!