With Apple Slices
As soon as the apples hit the farm market, they were in my cart. I have been feasting on them nonstop ever since. Being an Italian, nutella loving, chocoholic, I thought that subbing out my usual almond butter for some nutella with my apple as a sweet treat sounded awesome.
I made it in the food processor, because although I have a vitamix, I know not all of you do, so it didn’t seem fair to use it. I decided to use some water to thin it out, instead of oil or something else. It worked really well, but nutella is typically made with milk, so if you wanted to sub in some non dairy milk feel free.
When I first added the water, it wasn’t pretty. I was afraid liquid was the wrong choice since it got thick and clumpy. I took a chance and just kept adding water though, and it turned out perfect. If you have the same problem after the ½ cup of water, feel free to add a little more 2 tablespoons at a time.
I am really pleased with how this came out, it was easy and soooo yummy!! Hope you love it too!!
Health highlight of hazelnuts: Research has shown that eating hazelnuts, because of key nutrients, can help with memory and brain function. Consuming with nuts, like hazelnuts, has also been linked to a lower BMI, as well as reduced risk of heart disease. They are very anti-inflammatory, and a rich source of vitamin E and manganese.
- 6 ounces Toasted Hazelnuts
- ½ cup Water
- ¼ cup Cocoa Powder
- ¼ cup Maple Syrup (I have used as little as 1-2 tablespoons, so you can adjust up or down to taste)
- Add the hazelnuts, cocoa powder and maple syrup to the food processor
- Run until the hazelnuts are very finely chopped, and everything forms a paste
- With the food processor running, add the water in a slow and steady stream
- Run until thick, and smooth
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator
What is your favorite way to eat apples?