They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Apparently I also need a thousand words to title recipes. Because seriously, I realize this one is cumbersome. But for some reason I just kept adding words. Perhaps we can call it “The Vegan Pasta formally know as Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower, Lemon, Basil, and Capers”. There, I finally accomplished my mission in achieving the longest recipe title in history. Is there an award for that? If so I think there is a trophy in my future.
But let’s talk about vacation for a minute. Because if there was a recipe for the perfect vacation, I am pretty sure I just ate it. Why do my metaphors always get weird?
You see, last week was Hubby and my 5 year anniversary. I can hardly believe it has been that long that we have been married. So we decided to celebrate in our favorite place: Disney World.
In my world the perfect vacation has a few key elements. One is that it’s warm. Because as much as I adore Fall and Winter, I’m with Olaf. There also has to be lots of good food. I love food a lot. And I also need a perfect blend of being able to do nothing and relax, and be able to do things whenever the mood strikes. It is for all of these reasons that Disney World is my favorite, and that we had the best anniversary trip ever.
I also got to have lunch with Princesses. It was my happy place. It also helps me to realize what a wonderful, loving hubby I have, because he sat there like a trooper while I chatted with princesses. Best. Husband. Ever.
Now that we are back I am back in the kitchen with inspiration from some lovely meals. They may not come with princesses, but they are still lovely. And if you want to wear a dress and a tiara while you eat you will probably be my favorite. Because dresses and tiaras are awesome.
Health highlights of cauliflower: cauliflower is anti-inflammatory which means it can help reduce the risk of heart disease, Alzheimer’s, even depression (which is still being researched further to explore the inflammation-depression link). As a part of the cruciferous family (with broccoli) cauliflower contains potent anti-cancer compounds. It also supports the body’s detoxification process.
- 1 head Cauliflower (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 oz Pasta
- ¼ cup fresh Basil (roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Capers
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
- On a parchment lined baking sheet add the cauliflower and olive oil
- Toss to coat the cauliflower, then spread out in an even layer
- Place in the oven and roast about 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and golden brown around the edges
- In a large pot boil the pasta with water until al dente (check your pasta box for the timing)
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot (off the heat)
- Add to the pasta the roasted cauliflower, fresh basil, capers, and lemon juice
- Toss to coat
- Taste and then add salt and pepper to your liking
- Toss again and serve
- Eat up and enjoy!!!