You know I like quick meals. I find myself especially drawn to them lately as the hustle and bustle of the holidays and this time of the year kicks in.
So I got to thinking about things that could cook in 10 minutes. And then I started thinking about sweet potatoes. As Lorelei so elegantly puts it “My brain is a wild jungle full of scary gibberish.” Quick meals, sweet potatoes, hockey puck, rattlesnake, monkey, monkey, underpants!
Anyway.. No way I have ever gotten sweet potatoes to cook in 10 minutes. But then I thought about shredding them. Now, grating things is not a favorite of mine. Not sure why, but I don’t love grating cheese or anything else. My food processor, however, loves to grate stuff and does it so very efficiently!! Well, I imagine it does, since it doesn’t complain
I was surprised about how quick the shredded sweet potatoes cooked. It ended up working out really well. So if you have a food processor with a shredding attachment, I highly recommend it. If not, no worries, you will just have to go old school with a box grater.
Health highlight of sweet potatoes: Sweet potatoes are one of best sources of beta-carotene, which your body coverts to vitamin A. They are very anti-inflammatory, high in fiber and full of antioxidants. Despite their sweet flavor, sweet potatoes have less impact on your blood sugar than other potatoes. They are good for your skin, eyes, digestion, and bones. Sweet potatoes are also a really good source of vitamin C and potassium.
- 1 large Sweet Potato
- 1 Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 Pablano Peppers (diced)
- 1 tablespoon EV Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Coriander (dried, ground)
- 1 (15 oz) can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- Juice of half a Lime
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Fit the food processor with the shredding attachment
- Cut the sweet potato if necessary to fit into the feeding tube of the processor
- Shred the sweet potato, then onion
- In a large pan set to medium-high heat add the oil, sweet potato, onion, garlic, peppers, cumin and coriander
- Cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 7 minutes (stir frequently to avoid burning)
- Add the black beans and lime juice salt and pepper and stir
- Taste for seasoning, adjust if you’d like
- Sit down and chow down!!!