I hope you all had a lovely weekend! I did!! I saw friends, relaxed, and got caught up on some housework (those dishes seem endless sometimes, right?! Thank goodness for audiobooks!!)
Have you ever tried listening to audiobooks? If so do you have a favorite?
I know I have mentioned before how much I love soup at this time of year. It’s actually been unseasonably warm here in NJ, but still definitely soup weather. I love how simple they are to make, and how filling they can be.
Something I find to be an interesting fact is that your stomach actually has stretch sensors that signal your brain when they have been triggered. These signals help to tell your brain if you are hungry or full. So what is so wonderful about soup is that it helps trigger these sensors with fewer calories, as the broth is mostly water!
I think you will love this one, it’s got a great flavor, and is full of healthy stuff.
Health highlight of onions: Onions are super awesome health powerhouses. Not only do they add awesome flavor, they have also been shown to lower cholesterol levels, help maintain healthy blood sugar levels, reduce blood pressure, and reduce risk of heart disease! Plus they contain a flavonoid that helps eliminate free radicals that have been associated with aging!! And they contain healthy nutrients like potassium, folate, B6, and vitamin C. Plenty of reasons to add onions to your life!!
- 8 Onions (sliced) I used a mixture of red and white
- 1 tablespoon EV Olive Oil
- 6 cups Vegetable Broth
- ½ cup Kalamata Olives (in some cheesecloth)
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Mustard
- 2 cups fresh Spinach (chopped)
- In a large pot add the onions and oil
- Cook until the onions brown, about 10 minutes
- Add the veggie broth, olives, and garlic
- Boil until the olive flavor infuses into the broth, about 10-20 minutes
- Remove the olives and discard
- Stir in the mustard and spinach
- Serve and enjoy!!!!