I drink a lot of smoothies. Generally one a day. Occasionally two. I found a brand of frozen fruit that I like, and since I get fresh produce delivered weekly, I don’t go to the food store regularly these days. So the times I do get to the store I end up going to the frozen fruit aisle and hoard all the fruit in the case. I am pretty sure they have my picture up in the back as the crazy fruit lady.
We are super lucky to have a freezer in our garage, so I keep it stocked with frozen fruit. And I have learned that often the simple smoothies are the best ones. Coconut makes this taste like a special treat, and though there aren’t a ton of ingredients, the combo is super good!!
The trick to this one is the combo of the coconut and the water makes a lovely and rich coconut milk. Since we don’t keep milks in the house, I love tricks like this. (My almond milk is something I make all the time too!)
Health highlight of blueberries: Blueberries are undeniably a super food. They have been shown to prevent cancer, help your brain, prevent urinary tract infections, protect your heart, and even help your eyes!! All thanks to the antioxidants and phytonutrients in the lovely little gems. A lot of the nutrient power is found in the skins of blueberries, which is why some suggest opting for wild blueberries when possible because they are smaller in size which means more skin. But any old blueberries are going to pack a health wallop, and I think trying to get a dose in daily is super for your health!!
- 2 cup Water
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 10 oz (2 cups) Frozen Blueberries
- 1 Banana (frozen)
- 2 ounces Baby Spinach (about 1 cup tightly packed)
- Honey or Maple Syrup (to taste – I used about 1.5 teaspoons raw honey)
- Place the water and coconut in the blender
- Blend until combined and the water turns white – about 1-2 minutes
- Add the blueberries, banana, spinach, and honey
- Blend until smooth (add more water to thin, ice to thicken)
- Serve and enjoy!