I think most couples spend time talking about normal things. I have such a fantastic grip on what these things might be that I can’t even think of an example. Hubby and I talk about food a lot. Mostly it’s my fault. I get overly excited by the fact that there are fresh peaches and what am I going to make with them!?
So we were discussing dinner one afternoon. Two of the things we had in the fridge were broccoli and kale. When Hubby suggested we make tacos with them I thought he had lost it. I just kept saying over and over: “broccoli tacos!?”. He insisted he, in fact, still had his sanity, and eventually convinced me to trust him.
He must be some kind of perfect mixture of crazy and genius because boy were these amazing!! They were really unique too, which was so fun, and made them the kind of thing I could go for anytime. So be adventurous and try these out, you will be rewarded with happy taste buds!!
Cheaters alley: We used broccoli in here, but you can usually get Broccoli Slaw in the same place you find the bag of undressed coleslaw mix (often by the bags of salad). You can save some time and achieve the perfect texture for these tacos with the slaw.
Health highlight of broccoli: while broccoli may seem like a common, unremarkable veggie, it is actually a powerhouse of healthy stuff. Broccoli contains a compound that has been shown to be effective in preventing certain cancers. The nutrients in broccoli also help to promote and regulate detoxification in the body, which is very good news. Broccoli is also a strongly anti-inflammatory food.
- 3 crowns Broccoli (sliced) (see cheaters alley above)
- 1 tablespoon EV Olive Oil
- ½ cup Rice Vinegar
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Chili Garlic Paste (adjust up or down to your taste)
- 1 bunch Kale (finely sliced – about 4 cups)
- ½ teaspoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- ¼ cup sliced Green Onions
- Tortillas (to serve, corn or flour)
- Preheat the oven to 450
- Roast the broccoli about 10 minutes or until tender
- In a small pot add the vinegar, soy sauce, and chili paste
- Bring to a boil
- In a large bowl add the kale, sesame oil, and green onions
- Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the kale
- Mix well
- Once the broccoli is done add that to bowl with the kale mixture
- Toss it well to coat with the dressing
- Stuff into the tortillas and serve!!