We’re puppy sitting this week, which is pretty much my favorite thing. I think maybe I am going to steal him, and not give him back. Because he is hilarious, and makes me crack up constantly. My sister, his actual owner, jokes about how he is a Muppet a lot, which he pretty much is. It’s like living with a muppet that can’t talk and just does weird stuff all the time. So pretty much the best thing ever.
We have a fenced in yard so he likes to go out back and run as fast as he can in circles. The happiest look in the world on his face, he just runs and runs. And runs. And then he comes inside, completely pooped, and then just lays on my lap. He thinks he is a small lap dog, but he is at least 40 lbs. And then he falls asleep for hours.
So after his running session yesterday, tired on his behalf for all those laps, I decided to throw together this super quick spring dinner. Peas are one of my all time favorite foods, they have been ever since I was a kid. And this pilaf is loaded with them, so it makes me smile almost as much as Baxter. But not quite, because he is seriously hilarious.
Healthy highlight of Mint: Mint is an herb that is chock full of antioxidants. Per ounce, mint (and other herbs) contain some of the highest antioxidant values of all fruits and veggies. Mint can help sooth digestive issues ranging from upset to reflux to IBS. It may even help to prevent certain types of cancers. It also contains tryptophan, which is an amino acid that is essential in production of serotonin.
- 4 cups Cooked Brown Rice (I’m loving this make ahead method, or you can cook 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of water)
- 2 cups Peas (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup Fresh Mint (loosly packed) – chopped
- 1 Lemon (juiced and zested)
- ½ cup Almonds (chopped)
- 2 Green Onions – sliced
- EV Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- In a large bowl add the rice, peas, mint, lemon juice, lemon zest, almonds, green onions, olive oil, salt and pepper
- Toss to combine
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve cold, warm, or at room temp (so many options!!)