How do you get the flavor of bacon in a vegan dish with no weird ingredients?
A very good question indeed. The answer is… Smoked Paprika!! It’s incredible stuff, if you have never tried it, it is very mild in flavor but has that smokey bacon-ish flavor. So good.
And I have been loving on my green veggies lately. I discovered that if you take the stems off of things like collards and kale you can pop them in the freezer and use them in anything anytime. Convenience meets health. It’s these little things that make me smile!!
And though this dish might not be a looker, it is soooo tasty and comforting along with being super healthy. Serve it up with some lentils, or maybe on the side of a (veggie) meatloaf, and you are going to be in healthy comfort food heaven.
Health highlight of collard greens: Everyone makes a big deal about kale being so healthy these days (which it is!) but collard greens often get forgotten. Collard greens are members of the cruciferous vegetable family (with broccoli) and have the same cancer prevention benefits as its relatives. Collards have been shown to help reduce cholesterol, and are loaded with healthy nutrients like carotenoids, antioxidants, calcium, iron, and folic acid (which is especially important for pregnancy). Collards help support healthy digestion, and aid in the body’s natural detoxification process. They are also strongly anti-inflammatory. Now are you convinced you should make this recipe? I think I just talked myself into making it again!!
- 2 large heads Collard Greens (remove stems and roughly chop)
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 medium Red Onions
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 tablespoon EV Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- In a large pan add all the ingredients and loosely cover with foil
- Turn the heat on medium low and cook about 30 minutes, stir occasionally
- If it starts to stick to the bottom, add more water 2 tablespoons at a time
- Serve warm
- Eat to your hearts content!!