The other day it was one of those rainy, cold, grey days. Those kinds of days make me want warm comforty foods. I had been thinking about trying out a meatless meatloaf for a while, and there couldn’t have been a better day.
This was the scene:
It was magical, I decided to make this, and Brussels sprouts just arrived in the store (the perfect accompaniment if you ask me). I had a bunch of mushrooms sitting around waiting to be used. Seriously, the stars aligned for this dish.
Let me just say, as this was baking, the kitchen smelled amazing. Someone should make a candle, though it would make me hungry every time I burned it.
I suspect you could leave the cheese out to make it vegan, though I have not yet tried it.
I promised yesterday that I would share a picture of my Halloween costume from this weekend. This was the costume I got, I loved it because it is long sleeved, fleece and super comfy. Yes, technically its pajamas. But they worked so well!!
How cute are those pumpkins btw!? My sister painted them for her kid’s school, they were insanely cute!!!!
Health highlight of lentils: Lentils are heart healthy, slow burning, and chock full of nutrients like iron, protein, folate, and manganese. They are one the most protein dense plant foods. One team of researchers found those who ate the most legumes (including lentils) enjoyed longer more active older age.
1 can of Lentils – drained (roughly 1 ¾ cup cooked lentils)
1 tablespoon Parsley (chopped)
¼ cup of Spinach leaves (chopped)
1/3 cup of Oat Flour
¼ cup of Smoked Gouda or Cheddar
1 Shallot (finely Chopped)
1 clove Garlic (finely chopped)
1 tablespoon Ground Flax
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 (3.5 oz) container Shitake Mushrooms stems removed (finely chopped)
Bbq Sauce for the side and glaze
I served with Brussels Sprouts
- Crush Lentils with your hands until they are mostly smooth leaving some chunky bits
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the BBQ sauce into the mash and mix well
- Distribute mixture through 12 muffin cups (grease muffin tin before using…Very important)
- Bake 20 minutes uncovered till browned at 375
- Remove and glaze tops and bake another 10 minutes at 375
- Remove and let cool for 5 minutes then flip out the loaves and serve with extra BBQ sauce and veggies