I recently had a crazy hankering for white pizza. I blame it on Brigitt. I got a thin crust white pie from the local pizza place, and literally couldn’t get enough of it. I covered it in an insane amount of arugula and lemon (I ate about half of a container of arugula with 2 slices). It was seriously amazing.
I was so obsessed with it, in fact, that when I was hanging out with my sister I was talking about how obsessed I was with white pizza and arugula and lemon. A totally normal topic of conversation. She said she was in love with white pizza and broccoli rabe. I had literally just bought a big bunch of broccoli rabe!! It was fate!!
So, of course, I had to do some kind of white pizza with it. I was stuck on the crust, because I wanted to do something gluten free, and healthy, but I have done socca quite a bit already. When I thought of veggies, it all clicked together.
Hubby is allergic to eggplant, and I can sometimes have issues with the texture of mushrooms. So when I made this, I did a mixture of eggplant (for me) and mushrooms (for him). You can do all of one or the other if you have a preference.
I think what really put this over the top was the lemon zest in the ricotta. It woke up the whole thing and made it incredibly delicious. Credit to hubby on that one, he is such a genius!!
Health highlight of broccoli rabe: Broccoli rabe is a leafy green that has punchy flavor, and is related to mustard greens. It is from the cabbage family (cruciferous vegetables), and contains the same cancer fighting nutrients as the other veggies in this family. Broccoli rabe is rich in antioxidants and other healthy nutrients. It is a very good source of iron, and the acid in lemon juice aids the iron’s absorption. It is also a very good source of calcium, protein, vitamins A and C, and is a very anti-inflammatory food. As with all veggies, it is also a very good source of fiber.
- 1 Eggplant – sliced into ½ inch rounds
- 2 portabella Mushroom Caps – remove stems and ribs
- Oil Spray
- ¾ cup Ricotta (I like organic)
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese (I like organic)
- Zest of ½ Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- ⅛ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ cup Mozzarella (I like organic)
- Broccoli Rabe:
- 1 bunch (about 1 lb) Broccoli Rabe – chopped roughly
- juice of 1 Lemon
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Spray the eggplant and mushrooms lightly with oil
- Bake at 400 until tender, about 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, mix the ricotta mixture ingredients together, set aside
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add the broccoli rabe
- Cook the broccoli rabe for 2 minutes, and drain well
- Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper, set aside
- When the eggplants and mushrooms are tender, top with ricotta mixture and mozzarella
- Switch the oven to broil and broil until the cheese is melted
- Serve with broccoli rabe and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!